love, life, school and coffee.

Sunday, January 27, 2008

Kroo in Retrospect

I was looking through a fellow Kroo's blog recently and noted how this person was ranting about the things we had to go through, about how some people didn't seem to be pulling their weight or were out of line with their roles.

And it reminded me of my time in Kroo, how I got in, the insecurities I had and what I expected from all that.

Like I've said to so many people in SMUGS, I never expected to get into Kroo. There were just so many good candidates that I figure I shouldn't get my expectations up and then have to deal with the disappointment later. I didn't figure that those "non-expectations" could rebound back on me when I eventually did get in.

All the things they tell you about Kroo? About how you're going to make a difference to an organisation you love, about being at the helm making changes, about sharing the passion? Yea, they're all true. In an oblique kinda way. You can make a difference just about anywhere in the organisation. Just by turning up for SMUX events and helping out and being myself, I'm spreading the passion I have for outdoor activities. So what's with Kroo? Well, I get to be at the helm of changing SMUX. Yea, if I wasn't too busy firefighting the daily operations of my own team.

If you think about it metaphorically, yea, I did change SMUGS, most notably in my own team, when I officially transfered an activity that wasn't going anywhere, when I (with some help) came up with guidelines on how activities "graduate" in SMUGS, when I worked closely with TH to prepare Skating to fly on its own. But in my mind, I'm not willing to accept myself as a "good" Kroo. My team still had no identity. When the new Kroo stepped up and a huge "discussion" came about regarding an exco for the team, I had no real answer.

Then those doubts came in. Why put me here when I felt there were other deserving people who were nominated? I asked a notable ex-kroo what it takes to be a good kroo. His theory was simple: just pick the person who has the most passion for SMUGS. These people, by virtue of their passion, will think for the best of the club. They will not try to get in to pad their resumes, or to chase for power. They will undertake their jobs with a sense of responsibility Also, the passion they have will (hopefully) be infectious and spread their love for the outdoors to others.

Ok, so now I felt better about what I've been doing, cos within my locus of control, I've done what I could.

My dad once asked me what I got in return for all the time I invested into SMUGS. We don't get any fancy thank-you dinners. (Ok, our president does give us treats once in a while.) We're not recognised outside the organisation (and sometimes inside too!). I told him how by allowing myself to be nominated, I've accepted that I'd serve with little or no tangible benefits.

OSL recently announced a number of students who have contributed to the "vibrant student life" we have in school. Yea, I wasn't one of them. But during the times I'm alone here in Sweden, I've noted that it's not that we didn't contribute at all. I know other Kroo who worked so hard to contribute to SMUGS and also didn't get it. It's funny. I'm sure many of us will still want to help out with SMUGS activities. Just give us a few months to rest a bit after a year of giving our best. -Jimmy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home