love, life, school and coffee.

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

NovaMatrix - Chapter 1

Enothe Bulwark stirred in the seat. It creaked under his weight. In this day of space travel and clean synthetic materials, the wooden chair felt so quaint. Everything about the place was quaint. Who cooked with spices anymore? Most of the food cooked at homes were pre-packaged with flavours infused into the freeze-dried ingredients.

This "Oracle" must be some old hag, Enothe thought to himself. He wondered why Colonel Woolf had sent him on this “mission”. Seems more like a spiritual rite to me, he muttered to himself. This wasn’t a mission, it was something to pander to Woolf’s superstitions. At least I’m being paid a normal rate for it.

The brunette who answered the door walked through the bead curtains into the sitting room. She was stunning, in an awkward way. Her green eyes don’t go with her hair, but man! She has great skin and a wonderful figure!

“The Oracle is ready to see you now, Lieutenant Bulwark.”
“Call me Enothe. And you are?” Enothe gave the most dashing smile he could offer, but got an impassive smile and an uncomfortable silence in return. He quickly held his arm across the bead curtains, pushing them aside and walking through the doorway.

Enothe had never seen so many plants indoors before. Where were the smooth, dirt repellent walls? All he saw were leaves, like he was inside some living organism. Tending to the plants was another stunning lady, wearing a vibrant green toga and a brown sash draped over her exposed shoulder. She had green-grey eyes and long black hair with luscious waves.

“So you’re the one.” She remarked coolly as her eyes studied his form.
“I’m Enothe, actually. That’s E-N-O-T-H-E.” He stepped forward and raised his hand out for a handshake, inadvertently brushing it against his slug-throwing sidearm. It was a subconscious reaction whenever he was in an unfamiliar place.
Her face betrayed a hint of scorn, but she quickly covered it up. She kept her hands firmly on the watering can, only choosing to say, “Woolf tells me you’re a real soldier. A real fighting man.”
Enothe weighed the words in his head. That was hardly a compliment, but she wasn’t being rude either. “Woolf told you that I’d be coming?” He replied simply.
“Ah, at least you’re smart enough to side-step my earlier comment. I’ve seen many other ship captains either take insult or let it go to their heads. What did he tell you about me?”
Enothe bit his tongue. She didn’t answer my question! Stuffing his hands into his pockets, he answered, “That you’re the oracle. That you’d tell me some things of importance.” He wanted to continue to say ‘That you could tell me about my parents’, but thought it trivial.
“You’re holding back. You’re not feeling comfortable in this unfamiliar surrounding. But today’s session will end with me saying this: A powerful enemy approaches. A knight will come forth and end the constant feuding amongst the Great Nations. But strength is not your enemy. Fear is.”
She smiled inwardly at his scowl. “You’ll come back to me soon, Enothe. I’ll be at Mumble Jumble night. Find me there.”
Enothe did not hide the disbelief on his face. “The Oracle goes clubbing?”

“Oh, please. Don’t call me that. It makes me sound like an old hag. You can call me Iris next time.”
Enothe walked out of the door, feeling extremely light-headed. This is just some silly trick by Colonel Woolf, Enothe. The Oracle, the gift of foresight? Iris? What the frack do they take me for? He quickly left the place and headed back for his ship.

“So what do you think, dear?” Iris asked the brunette.
“I thought that someone with his reputation will be more confident. He did try to be charming on me though. I expected him to hit on me outright.”
“You’re not fully using your gifts, my young templar. But is it just as I have foreseen?”
“Yes, mum. I’m starting to fall for him already.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home