love, life, school and coffee.

Friday, September 16, 2005

Money the Root of Evil. Evil the Root of Life.

Don't want a cruel life? Live as an animal. And protect yourself while you're at it.


I'm writing this with a painful left ear, tonnes of reading to do and an important presentation tomorrow. Why? I really don't know. The past few days of my life have really been a blur. What just happened really didn't help.


My family went for the regular after-dinner stroll. Nothing unusual. Then my father asked about some business deal. He had done the work, now my mother had to chase for the payment. You know how it is with people... you can't trust them with payments. They'll try every excuse they have to stall the payment. Why? Beats me. Some people get a kick from not doing their work, from not paying someone for his work.

As expected, the money hasn't come in. Now, I don't blame my father, cos he really works till quite late in a company he doesn't really like. So he starts throwing his temper. The stroll ended up being really uncomfortable and we made our own way back home. (Interestingly, there were 3 ways to get home from where we were.)

So this is where the title comes in. Is money worth a whole night of discomfort for the whole family? What's so great about money anyway? Ultimately, isn't it just a man-made object to facilitate trade? How and why did it become so evil? I don't think I would want to opine on the questions I just asked. I'm not in the mood to do so, and it'll probably end up with a secular argument anyway.

However, the train of thought led me to my choice of studies. Why accountancy? Isn't it ultimately about counting other people's money? If money is so evil, why did I end up choosing a course that deals with it? Is it because everyone covets money, and if by relating yourself to money, you could earn a living, nothing else matters?

Again, my thoughts rushed off like a bullet train. So what is life all about anyway? Just to earn a living? Money again. Save the world? So troublesome, and really not feasible. Do charity, perhaps? Groans everywhere. How am I supposed to live comfortably if I devote myself to charity, you ask. You need the money to survive!

So my conclusion as I sat alone pondering was that life and money are too intertwined. And since money is so evil, life is evil too. But who's complaining? There's money to be made. -Jimmy

4 Comments:

Blogger Krista... said...

I was browsing and thought I would let you know that I like how you've set up your blog, and I like the picture on the top...what is that thing? -K

10:14 PM

 
Blogger Jimmy said...

Hmm... Someone actually reads our blog... It really is an honour.
The picture is actually a sea urchin, I believe that should sound familiar? A friend took it during a recent dive trip.

3:15 PM

 
Blogger Gabriel Wu said...

Money, I've read somewhere about how money is simply a statement of debt...

You do something for someone, they are indebted to you hence they give you money - a statement of debt which you can use later... It's like saying "Thank you, I owe you one" and giving you an "IOU" to guarentee that your favour will be returned...

And yeah it's a great way to facilate trade! It helps to do away with the deadweight losses arising from either party not being able to return the favour on the spot!

2:08 PM

 
Blogger Jimmy said...

Gabe, I had no idea how much influence that one economics lesson has on you.

12:10 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home