love, life, school and coffee.

Monday, December 26, 2005

A Trip Down Orchard Road

It was Christmas Eve. We had library books to return. We had some bookshop coupons we wanted to expend. So we headed to Orchard Road. Nope, this post isn't about how we foolishly joined in the throngs ebbing along Orchard. It's not about how people didn't want to come down weeks earlier to get their photos with the large christmas trees or the fancy lights. But it is about the people though.

As we walked (or shuffled) down Orchard Road, the one thing that struck me was how so many of the ladies looked alike. From Cineleisure to Far East Plaza, I thought that I kept seeing clones. Ladies with the same outfits, with the same eyeshadow, with the same lipstick. Of course they can't be the same person. There were thousands out in force that night, coincidences do not occur so often. And the fact that their boyfriends all look different confirms that. (Unless this particular clone is a multi-timer who happens to be all over Orchard at once.)

So my engineer-isque mind thought of the only logical explaination. They all look the same because of their similar make-up. And the similar make-up is attributable to this thing known as "trends". So if you put eyeshadow of this shade, and match it such that it contrasts with your blush, and if your eyebrows are plucked in this particular way, you are "tred-y", because you are following the "trends".

Less I gain legions of readers (yar, right) who hate me for my above comments, might I simply point out that I have nothing against people who are willing to spend time to dress up and glam up. Really. They're positive externalities. But the point I'm trying to make here is that "trends" can be a good thing and bad thing.

When applied correctly, following trends can make you look like a million bucks. You'll come across as someone who is "in the know" about what clothes and accessories go with you. It can probably feel empowering too. But what if everyone follows this trend? Wouldn't that mean that the trend simply becomes a template? Everyone who follows it simply becomes much like a clone to the person before him? (In a salute to the numerous physics experiments I did, wouldn't that mean that they'll just make an equation and fit you into it? You are just on of the dots along this equation.)

I have no idea why this blog post came about either. Guess I just wanted to rant about seeing clones along Orchard. I'll leave the issues for you to figure out. As for me, I'll continue wearing my mass-produced T-shirts. -Jimmy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home